Built in 1856-57 by the Genesee Valley Railroad to span the Conesus Outlet. The 200-foot long, 12-foot wide limestone bridge was part of the Rochester-Avon-Geneseo-Mount Morris line. Avon became a railroad hub connecting Buffalo-Rochester-Corning and Hornell. The line was electrified in 1907, with three runs daily between Rochester and Mount Morris. In 1941, the Avon-Mount Morris section was abandoned and the rails removed.
You can learn about history anywhere, but in Livingston County, you can reach out and touch it. No velvet ropes, no long lines, just interactive fun the whole family can enjoy. Go inside the guts of the Mount Morris Dam, as it holds back countless tons of water, or take a tour through the hanger of the 1941 Historic Aircraft Group Museum as they restore aged warplanes to their former glory. Rejuvenate at Radiance Spa, located in Geneseo's historic Sweet Briar. Only minutes away is the Genesee Country Village, one of the largest, working living history villages in the northeast.
A community of contemplative monks living according to the Rule of St. Benedict and the Constitutions of the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance, more commonly known as Trappists. Striving to seek God and follow Christ under a rule and an abbot in a stable community that is a school of brotherly love.
Presently the monks bake delicious breads three days a week. The bread is sold to a local distributor for distribution to supermarkets in Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse, New York. Monks' Bread is also available at our own outlet in our reception room at the Abbey.
8 AM to 11 AM, 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM and 5:30 to 6:30 PM.
Besides baking bread, the monks also bake a date and nut loaf, brownies and several varieties of fruitcakes.
We welcome visitors to join the community for liturgical prayer in the Abbey Church or to spend time in quiet solitary prayer.
Church and reception room: 2 AM -7 PM
Bookstore: open throughout the day
Bread Store: 8 AM - 11 AM; 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM; 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Because we are a cloistered monastery, there are no tours of the abbey offered to visitors. A porter is available to answer questions and provide assistance. We have a meeting room, Merton Hall, where we receive groups for video or slide presentations and talks on monastic life.
We are five miles west of Geneseo, 35 miles south of Rochester, and 55 miles east of Buffalo.
From 390: Exit 390 at the Geneseo exit, proceeding west on 20A, through Geneseo to 63 North, to the River Road intersection in Piffard. Continue to 3258 River Rd. | Piffard, NY 14533
from NYS Thruway I-90: Exit I-90 at the Batavia exit, take 63 South to the River Road intersection in Piffard. Continue to 3258 River Rd. | Piffard, NY 14533
On the ground floor of this recognized establishment in 900 square feet of gallery for performance as well as reception space. It also contains 1906 Steinway Parlor Grand and 1929 Behning Baby Grand pianos. The second floor contains our Members gallery, which is a 100 square-foot foyer, with an additional 400 square-foot space available occasionally for exhibits by our member artists. The Members Gallery is availble for Workshops, Gallery showings, and Classes.
The APHS was chartered in 1983, and its main purpose is to promote Avon's unique history and the important events of its time. The APHS researches, collects, manages and preserves historical documents, photos and other memorabilia from the Village and Town of Avon. Visits by appointment only, call (585) 226-2425 (ext.22).
The Chip Holt Nature Center provides interpretive (natural and cultural history) and outdoor recreation programming to the public and schools for the stewardship of Conesus Lake and environs and the ecosystem of the Finger Lakes. The Center is an invaluable source of education and information regarding the lake.
The Mills Mansion in Mount Morris, New York, was built in 1836 by General William Augustus Mills. Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, this Federal style house is the headquarters of the Mount Morris Historical Society, which is responsible for the maintenance and restoration of the structure.
Open to the public from June 1-November 1, Friday-Saturday 12:00-4:00 P.M. and by appointment (585) 658-3292.
Page 1 of 3